Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Sepia Saltfleetby

I hardly seem to be taking any photographs at the moment but a trip to Louth last weekend allowed me to visit an old friend; All Saints Saltfleetby. It was a grey, wintry day and I had to rely on the computer inside my Sony HX5V, which enables hand-held shots in low light. It takes a burst of six pictures at a sixth of the correct exposure and then combines them.

The images seemed to respond well to sepia toning.







































The above image is from the unrestored south aisle with only a hanging oil lamp to mark the passing of time. Towards the end of the nineteenth century all pews were shifted to the north aisle when the chancel was Victorianised including the standard harsh red and black tiles. Thankfully the original screen remains.







































I have taken several similar images over the years, of empty chairs in churches and I am reminded of a Duane Michals sequence, which tells the story more directly.







The window at the bottom of the famous leaning tower is framed wonderfully by the arch. The ladder provides another symbol of ascending.








































The peacefulness of this church, coupled with a lack of ostentation (apart from the tiles in the chancel) is very attractive. Sadly having a camera can tend to distract me too much and I only appreciate the finer points when editing the images later.



On a lighter note I have just popped over to Bradfield. The light was wonderful but unfortunately in the wrong direction most of the time. 






I ended up hand holding my Sony A350 as, even though I had brought a tripod along , it was too windy to use slow speeds. I think I was pushing my luck as I was using a mid telephoto zoom lens (up to 105 mm) which is equivalent to a 160 mm lens in the APS format.

The straight dry stone walls are typical of the area and evidence of how the moorland was enclosed by the local land owners.









































The two previous images were taken above Rocher Rooks and a week later I walked to the bottom of the edge to try and repeat the Deepcar effect. However the sandstone was bland and the terrain was steep, with trees awkwardly placed, so I only managed this infra red-like interpretation.


.


The day’s grown old; the fainting sun
Has but a little way to run,
The shadows now so long do grow,
That brambles like tall cedars show;
Mole hills seem mountains, and the ant
Appears a monstrous elephant.  

 





I have made a pre New Year resolution to take more pictures. I have been greatly influenced by the attitude of Tony Kemplen. Tony lives in Sheffield and currently has two blogs on the go. In one he takes a square picture each day of the year;


In the other he uses a different (cheap and cheerful) film camera each week of the year;


Wonderful stuff and such phun!