Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Old Blog 5 - Mablethorpe

Posted by Norman Creighton at 00:00, February 13 2011.


Brenda and I drove over to Louth yesterday to see Barbara, a friend from school days. The forecast was good and I even loaded film in to my beautiful Dynax 7 in the hope of a good day's photography. However the weather was poor and we took our lives in our hands by visiting Mablethorpe in the rain. I think Mable has a lot to answer for as there is a vague sense of threat about Mablethorpe's main street. Its a bit like "High Noon" with charity shops. The beach was "so bracing" and Barbara's canine companion, Roxy, rose to the occasion.









Beach huts, as always, summed up the mood.









The black and white conversion added another layer of meaning.









Mablethorpe has a few celebrity beach huts and this "Camera Obscura" caught my eye for obvious reasons.









We lunched in South Ormsby, where the lady vicar is also the landlady at the Massingberd Arms and cooks the best gammon, egg and chips I have ever tasted. South Ormsby church was surrounded by snow drops but rather than photograph them I went inside. This vase of, battery illuminated, glass fruit seemed to add a touch of decadence to a CoE vestry.









The main door, font and light switch brought us back to earth however.









In conversations over lunch we had been told of a damp old chapel at Haugh that had perfect acoustics. I did a bit of singing but there was no one there to appreciate it, so I photographed the piscina and the mould on the wall instead.









The sun finally came out so we set off back to the beach at Sutton by Sea. Brenda and Barbara threw stones for Roxy to fetch while I took pictures. The beech huts at Sutton are much less corporate than at Mablethorpe and each owner has made his mark.









The sun set on a good day, spoilt later by a pathetic performance from the Scottish rugby team against Wales