Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Monday 12 September 2011

Sunflowers and Saltfleetby

Another slight dent was inflicted on my children's savings with a trip to the Real Camera Company in Manchester. It could be an Aladdin's Cave of cameras but its really a depository for stuff that no one wants and big prices for the equipment that may be collectible e.g. £450 for a nice Prominent II. I was there to collect my Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII (the ultimate street photography camera!) which had been repaired. Unfortunately I had forgot to check the seals and when I got it home I found they had rotted so I have had to rely on insulating tape for the time being. I also swapped a lens for the the famous 70-210 Minolta Beercan. There is a Mini Beercan (35-70) and a Big Beercan (75-300) but this is the one to have - so they say.

I bought Brenda some sunflowers a few weeks ago and, as they are decaying nicely, they seemed a good subject for the Beercan.


I had previously taken this homage to Paul Capanigro balancing on top of a rickety step ladder, in a strong wind, with my dressing gown being blown up to reveal a historic pair of boxer shorts to any unfortunate passer-by.



We travelled to Louth on Saturday to spend the day with Barbara and a very good day we had. There was an open day at All Saints Saltfleetby, which was fun but photographically limiting.



However calling at nearby Theddlethorpe was a revelation. The Churches Conservation Trust have just completed a major refurbishment and it's simply stunning. I only had my HX5V with me but must return with something bigger.



Apart from risking my reputation photographing sunflowers I also wandered in some woods near Wigtwizzle. It was sunny and I thought I could get away without using a tripod. Wrong! I had to delete all the images I took. The following day was dull and rainy but I needed to return and apart from scratching the screen of my Alpha 350 (much cursing and self loathing!) I came away with the this image of a noble beech tree, enlivened with a bit of fill in flash.