Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Deepcar

Needing a bit of solitude I set off for a rather sad piece of woodland in Deepcar. The land was the site of much industry and the trees have a strangled look to them. I was wrong in assuming that no one else would want to walk there, as no sooner had I arrived when a 4X4 pulled up and disgorged too many young children and dogs. I of course set off in the opposite direction and went down a path that I had not previously followed. After fifty yards I was facing a sandstone edge and could hardly believe my luck.



.


I had decided to travel light so only had my A350, a macro lens and a monopod, which meant I had to crank up the ISO more than was ideal.









The rock had only the hint of colour but I knew what a few tweaks on the computer would produce. The danger is to over saturate and you can judge whether I have but some of the colour may be due to the industrial pollution seeping through the porous rock.



.







It's all very well having a macro lens but I will have to have to develop a great deal more patience if I am to use it effectively and pick a location less awkward and slippery than here.