Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Sunday 15 January 2012

Millstone Edge

I had been meaning to visit the abandoned millstone quarry for a long time. The fashion for white flour, milled by continental stones, put an end to the demand for stones made of millstone grit and the homely grey flour that they produced. Lichen covered millstones are scattered around the woods and I thought the photographic opportunities would be many. Unfortunately it was a beautiful day with a clear blue sky and harsh light and the woods were robbed of their mystery. While the fierce sun brought out the colour in the rock the light was too harsh.



Some of these images remind me of Chinese landscapes from the wall of the chippy that I used many years ago. I tended to examine the silk pictures in detail, as the only distraction from acres of formica, while awaiting my Mushroom Foo Yung.





There is a danger of overdosing on rock with silver birches but never mind




.