Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Huddersfield

As it was Brenda's birthday we decided to take a trip to Huddersfield using our travel passes. The train from Penistone stops at nice sounding places like Denby Dale, Brockholes and Berry Brow (among others) and when the sun shines the scenery is worth a look.

When we arrived we set off for the market, toured the rather depressing collections of bric a brac and wondered why we had come.





Things looked up when I found a camera stall with several Minoltas and surprised myself by buying nothing. However I could not resist a vinyl set of Alban Berg's miserable, twelve tone, opera Wozzeck for £2. It looked unplayed but I imagine most sets of Wozzeck are. Brenda had bought a shawl and she wore it during lunch in the "Head of Steam"; a pub on Platform 2 and full of railway memorabilia.










































Next stop was the Art Deco library and art gallery. There was a giant chess set outside but it was too cold to play.






The art gallery was on the third floor and we used the lift. Unfortunately the pictures were a mixed bunch and we walked out rather dejected. Not for long. I was transfixed by the staircase and spend the next half hour trying to capture it using my little Sony HX5V. 









































M.C. Escher came to mind, so black and white (sepia) seemed to suit them well given the age of the building.









































I really needed more time, more patience, a tripod, a view camera and a Super Angulon lens but never the less. I really enjoyed myself.







My enthusiasm seemed to transfer to the attendant who started to look down as if he had never really noticed the stairs before. He jokingly asked for a cut of the fee that I was going to charge.








And again.....







































.










































I was on a roll and left the art gallery wanting to capture the essence of Huddersfield. Unfortunately the camera battery died just after I took the following image. Oh dear?