Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Brick walls

With no particular place to go before the rugby match last Sunday I tried to find inspiration in industrial decay around Horbury Bridge as, on the map, there seemed to be a concentaration of railway lines, canals and ponds. The photography muse unfortunately failed to descend and I therefore decided to turn to drink and followed a sign to The Navigation Inn at Waller bridge. A short walk along the tow path of the Calder and Hebble Navigation resulted in the following image of the underside of a railway bridge. I visualised the image in black and white but it is better in colour.




.


I was pleased with the image so I photographed a couple of buildings in Sheffield that I had intended to snap for years but had never got round to it.



 .



.
And another in Bradford




.


And Huddersfield




.




The following image seemed to symbolise the shock of colour movies when they were first shown at the picture palace.



.




I have always photographed doors and windows and the link to abandoned churches is easy to see. Here are a couple of scanned images from the archives and a more recent HDR shot of the very dark interior of the Duke of Newcastle's mausoleum at Milton, near Tuxford.






.





.