Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Sunday 15 July 2012

Minolta Dimage 7

I have decided to persevere with IR photography and used this as an excuse to buy another old camera. The alternative was to buy a camera converted to IR at greater expense.

The Dimage 7 (launched in 2001) is not as IR sensitive as the Sony S50 but is much more sophisticated. And it's a Minolta!






























.


The Dimage 7 has a reputation for eating batteries but until I went to Wortley Hall I didn't realise what a problem this was to become. Four AA Duracells lasted about five minutes and the external Lithium, rechargeable battery pack (that came with the camera) lasts about 10. Its crazy!?






.





The results are sharper and less grainy than the Sony but the power problems may be the limiting factor.











.










.










.







A trip to Wortley Top Forge was frustrating both because the sun kept on disappearing and the batteries packed up after only a couple of shots.







.





If you notice your lights going dim, it will be me charging my AA batteries for my next trip with the Dimage 7.










.





A week later I set off with no less than 20 newly charged AA batteries to power my Dimage 7. These either failed to switch the camera on or lasted less than a minute. I have concluded there must be a fault but have bought some new rechargeables just in case the others have gone off. Thankfully the Lithium power pack (with considerable management on my part) enabled me to have a decent session down at the canal.









.









 .













































.





It is almost like using my old MPP view camera, but without the dark cloth. The Dimage has to be fixed to the tripod; the battery pack hung from the tripod head and plugged in to the camera. It is only then that the electronic viewfinder works and I can start composing an image.









 .












 .







The images below are of a well known Sheffield view, from the Ball Street bridge looking towards the Kelham Island Museum, in an area called Neepsend. Can you spot the heron? Double clicking on the image gives a full screen view.

Neepsend used to be famous for its mighty, noxious gasworks and I recall a colleague (many years ago) describing a rather over bearing woman as "a breath of fresh air - from Neepsend!".










.











.