Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Glen Howe Park

Brenda and I have just discovered Glen Howe Park. I have driven past the sign, almost every day, for over thirty years and never bothered to explore until today. We found a charming woodland dell, struggling from a lack of council care and a shadow of its former glory.

An education pack, which is excellent, can be downloaded from this link.

http://www.heritagewoodsonline.co.uk/map/019/019.html

The bluebells and rhododendrons were just starting to show.
































.











































.






I am taking an interest in local pack horse trails and one of the reasons for our visit was so I could see the reconstructed pack horse bridge. 

































.







It was strikingly elegant and deserved to be photographed from both sides.

































.












































.






As I only found a couple of the sculptures mentioned in the pack I must return and make up for lost time.

































.







I popped over to Underbank Reservoir, on May Day Bank Holiday, to test out a lens that I had just acquired. The lens was cheap and nearly twenty years old but seemed to live up to its reputation.


































.

































.











































.






At the first mention of bluebells I set of for Blitholme Woods but I was too early. It's been a difficult years for me and the bluebells. I therefore turned my attention to the nearby Wantley Dragon.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/news-media/england/Pages/wantley-dragon-wood.aspx#.UY6FAaKG3To


The dragon has a curved dry-stone wall body and feet and a carved wooden head. Its more of a pet dragon than a fearful beast.












































.








The dragon overlooks Morehall Reservoir and the trees looked lovely in new leaf.















































.




I have just bought a book of landscape photographs from Oxfam. Some of the images were simply wonderful, in the large format tradition, making me want to rush off and buy a view camera.

http://www.christopherburkett.com/home.html

I had not come across Christopher Burkett before but although I was overwhelmed by his sensitivity and the quality of his work it also made me yearn for a simple black and white image.

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/inspiredby/2012/08/fay-godwin-photographs-of-the-british-landscape.html
.