Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Near Boston Spa

I drive up to Boston Spa occasionally to attend a meeting of grey haired men, looking over their glasses at small, redundant pieces of equipment. This is also known as a camera fair. There are a couple of conserved churches nearby that I had yet to visit.

The website for Cowthorpe says "soft light steams through the fine leaded windows enhancing the stone interior" but to me it was simply another example of the Victorian need to scrape off medieval plaster to reveal unattractive sandstone. A piscina should not look like this.
















































.






It was relief when some of the wall was covered by the Decalouge board.












.







































.







When I am reduced to photographing the light on Victorian industrial tiling I realized it was time to move on. 




































.





Unfortunately Allerton Mauleverer represented an even more extreme example of church "improvement". 

http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/Ourchurches/Completelistofchurches/St-Martins-Church-Allerton-Mauleverer-North-Yorkshire/ 

The 18th century Gothick revival gave rise to many flights of fancy under the banner of enlightenment. It has its own geometric attractions, which can be elegant, and at least the walls were covered with pleasantly pealing plaster.


















































.





The pot-bellied font provided an unusual focal point.




















































.





















































.







And I still find small groups of chairs very appealing. They remind me of a performance of "Our Town" I went to while at school, where the dead of Grover's Corner were sat on such a group of chairs; waiting to comment on the present.





















































.






I have treated myself to a new, cheap computer monitor (via Preloved), which I had to collect from Wickesley in Rotherham. Happily it took me past the most wonderful display of wild flowers that I have ever seen. It went on for about a mile in the middle of a dual carriageway.





































.









































.





It seems that Sheffield is a front runner in the field of wide flowers and I must try and seek out their other plantings.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/olympic-fields-of-gold-1.178514









































.









.



One click on the panorama will open it up to full frame.













.




















.