Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Sunday 31 January 2016

Nidderdale

Prior to collecting Bren from the airport I thought I would drive up Nidderdale.

Knaresborough Castle is situated above the Nidd Gorge and I could not resist taking this standard shot of the railway viaduct and church.































.



Looking downstream, the weir was dramatic after all the recent rain.































.






I drove on to Pateley Bridge and walked to Glasshouses and Bewerley. I hoped to find shelter from a snow storm in Glasshouses' Mill but found none.































.





They don't makes houses like this any more!
























.







Bewerley has a medieval chapel, which has been over restored for my tastes. I am fascinated by prayer boards and what people are willing to write, mostly anonymously it has to be said. However I thought that "Jesus I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything" was a bit limp wristed.
































.






Coldstone Cut is a strange affair. The only way of seeing it completely is from the air.

http://thecoldstonescut.org/

































.




It was bitterly cold and I was the only visitor.

As a blizzard started I was grateful that the Met Office now named storms and I was able to shout "Fucking Gertrude!!!" into the wind.
































.







The view of the quarry was good however.










.