Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Sheffield Past

Last Sunday I set off to record the tiled pubs of Sheffield. I had three in mind but could only find one; The Ship Inn. The others (the Bath Hotel and The Rutland Arms) had been fantasies of my own making.




.




I love the way the flamboyant tiled extension has been grafted on to the tiny Victorian public house.





.




Visiting the, now derelict, Hare and Hounds on Nursery Street took me past one of my favourite buildings. Although built to let in as much light as possible occupants seem to have devoted a lot of time and effort to keeping the light out.







.





The perspective has been modified by the software, the colours are over saturated and there's lots of digital noise; but I love it. Double clicking on the image gives an enlarged view.






.





While taking these pictures I enjoyed the sounds of gospel singing from a Pentecostal church nearby and admired the commitment of the congregation, in their "Sunday best" walking through this drab neighbourhood.


I was crammed against this geometric doorway with my 17mm lens pointing up at about 45 degrees and the building "falling over" in the viewfinder.



 





.










































.





I visited The Greyhound, on Attercliffe Common, as I knew there was, at least, a tiled plaque there but was dismayed to find the pub closed and shuttered (like so many others that I visited, including The Ball on Main Road) but its deadness, with the dead steel works behind was attractive in the same way as graveyards can be.

See the link below for more  

http://closedpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2011_09_01_archive.html







.











.


Dead steel works and dead factories are all around. I need to get back to photographing nature!






.



Does a dead pigeon count?





.






The stencil on shuttered window has a picture of David Cameron with "Child of Thatcher" below and it is hard not to blame her directly for all that has happened to the steel and coal industries around here. "State funeral?" "How dare they!"