Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Saturday 13 October 2012

Fujifilm Superia Xtra 400

Film still holds a special place in the hearts of older photographers mainly because it provides a rationale to buy, and perhaps use, some much loved cameras e.g. my Minolta Dynax 9, XM and Hi-matic 7sII.

There are letters every week in photographic magazines arguing that film is superior to digital capture but it isn't. It's expensive and inconvenient as it requires a lot of work to remove dust, hair and the chemical stains left by a careless local processor. However there is something special about film. Something akin to playing a vinyl record as opposed to a CD.

I have recently spent some time in Devon and called in at Camerley church en route.















































.









You may like to compare this image with the digital image included in the Fosse Way post. I feel the dynamic range of the film image is wider and impact softer.

Because of all the imperfections with scanned film images I tend to use extreme post capture processing more often. So here's a "Comic Book" variation.

















































.

.









The following images are of a church in Buckfastleigh that was largely destroyed by fire in the 1990's. I was fascinated by this corner and the views through the glassless windows.












.







A slight change of view and a negative image, plus a bit of manipulation, gives a different perspective.












.










The other nice thing about film is that, because I rarely use it, I forget what images I have taken and (hopefully) get a nice surprise when the film is developed. The following images date form a trip to Devon in March that I had forgotten that I had taken.

West Ogwell is a favourite church which I usually photograph using a tripod. However these (and those of Torbryan) were hand held and have a very narrow depth of field. The post capture processing of the first image was intended to suggest a journey from the three wooden chairs to the the medieval sedillia seats










.













.










Torbryan is a magnificent church, once at the centre of a medieval community, now redundant. After a fine lunch, in the nearby Church House Inn, Brenda and I wandered to the church and enjoyed the restored pulpit and screen.










.











.