Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Old Blog 1 - Over the Humber

Posted by Norman Creighton at 00:00, October 16 2010.
Before the hosting on my original website runs out I have copied a few of the old pages and blog postings over to the current site.  

Its not easy finding a trip that is acceptable to my wife, my daughter and myself and does not involve them killing time while I am faffing about in a church. So yesterday we agreed on a walk across the Humber Bridge and perhaps a trip to Saint Peter's (Barton upon Humber). The bridge and the views from it were wonderful but not as awe inspiring as I had thought and the only image I took was of the Lincolnshire shore.







































.




While Brenda and Helen walked back to get the car I went on to find the two churches I could see from the bridge. Saint Mary's is the current parish church. It is a large, open and appealing space with interesting columns and Norman chevroned, round, arches that have been altered to give them a bit of a point, which looks odd. Round the back of the organ these child's seats seem to say something about the power of Sunday school teachings.









































.




Saint Peter's is well known for its Saxon tower and chancel and was very impressive.
























.









































.




We met for a pub lunch in Barton and it was reassuring to find a few cameras displayed on the 
shelves including an Ensign Fulview and a Leningrad exposure meter. I was allowed one church visit on the way back to the M180 and fortunately chose Worlaby. The key holders were charming and the church delightful. Helen joined in the picture taking, having the steadier hand and the Canon G9's image stabilisation did valiant service. I do not carry a tripod on family trips for fear of over indulging their patience.







































.














































Unfortunately our happy day was largely ruined by the M18 being closed with consequent grid lock on surrounding roads and me getting ratty.