Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Saturday 5 January 2013

Odd Sheffield

I had a wander near to my office yesterday and was surprised by all the odd things I came across.

The National Museum for Popular Music may have seemed a good idea at the time, when there was lots of Lottery money to spend on a wacky design but it soon failed and is now a student's union.























.



There are moments when one is attracted by some detail but generally the building has always looked daft and out of keeping with its surroundings. 
































.
















.





There is a fashion for painting naive murals on all sorts of buildings  The Rutland Arms is a favourite pub but I cannot imagine what possessed them to have this daubed around their beer garden.









































.





Unfortunately an artist, who goes by the name of Phlegm, seems to be very popular. Even my favourite book and record shop (Rare and Racy has covered their back wall with Phlegm (bottom image in hyperlink). 

http://www.unurth.com/Phlegm-Sheffield

I simply don't get it. Low Tech Org seems to sum it up.

http://www.streetart.lowtech.org/index.php

The sad shell of the once lively Matilda Tavern has not escaped 





























.



While it was nice to see David Attenborough on the side of a building I could not understand why he was there. It seems it was just a whim of the artist.












































.





Give me dereliction and decay any day