Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Monday 1 April 2013

Winterreise

I set off yesterday with much equipment stashed in my new sling bag plus a tripod over my shoulder. Needless to say I needed neither lenses, extension tubes, exposure meter or tripod  and made do with a 50 mm lens, hand held. 

I also got lost and tramped through the muddy snow for three and one half hours until I reached the Wortley Arms, which was fully booked with family festive lunches, so I had to sit outside with my pint of Peroni and bag of salt and vinegar. 

I had found some inspiration at the start of my winter's journey but little en route as I trudged along.











































.







The following shot, through the bottom of a pylon, reminded me of the style of Tony Kemplen. His latest book is excellent, if you have a fondness for old cameras and as he lives in Sheffield, many of the images are familiar.

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/3970190-52-cameras-in-52-weeks-the-first-three-years-tony










































.







Just as my iPhone battery expired and I was having fantasies about being rescued by a pretty nun leading a St Bernard dog, carrying a small barrel of Highland Park, I came across this alpine panorama, looking across from Wharncliffe Crags to the Ewden Valley and beyond.


















.





Park Hill Flats was, with Hyde Park and Kelvin, one of the iconic blocks erected in Sheffield in the 60's. They were called "Streets in the Sky" and much play was made that the milk float (remember them!) could park outside your front door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Hill,_Sheffield

One of my favorite (HDR, OTT) images recalls Park Hill as a shell, prior to its rise to chic urban living c/o Urban Splash.

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/residential/park-hill


































.





My guess is that Urban Splash, as a nod to civic duty, built this strange amphitheater above the Midland Station. It is wonderfully built, in the best materials and seats about two thousand but for what?

http://www.gbtheatrecompany.com/sheffield.html

The first shot is a joined up panorama and the second was created in-camera.



















.


















.



































.