Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Saturday 8 February 2014

Barnsley

Whether it's the winter rain, having too many cameras or a general lack of umph; I am struggling with taking photographs at the moment. I therefore tried to seek some inspiration by visiting downtown Barnsley on a sunny Sunday morning.

Barnsley's wealth was almost all underground so there are few grand mills and fine stone buildings as are found in Huddesfield. Barnsley has few pretensions and I was therefore amused to come upon this "sculpture" which proclaimed as much marketing bollocks as one would want to swallow on a fine Sunday morning.




























.






I was surprised how much signs and wheeliebins defaced the simplest of scenes and those bins that were full of bottles objected loudly as I tried to drag them out of the way.


































.








Barnsley's red white and blue




































.






Barnsley's football team is nicknamed The Reds and red seems right for Barnsley's entrenched Labour politics. The market continues the theme.















































.







I was rather touched by finding this bottle of milk outside the vestry door of the parish church and I then met the, very disabled, church warden who had struggled to walk to the church to make the vicar's tea. I was invited to the coffee morning each Friday and I promised to go once I had retired.



































.






The Chronicle is the local rag but as Barnsley is such a poor town the small ads do not contain any camera bargains worth having.































.