Old Mill Lane

Old Mill Lane

Sunday 16 February 2014

Fledborough

The weather forecast was for a day without rain so I set off for Sherwood Forest to try and find this set of trees that  had photographed a couple of years ago.












.




After driving in circles for some time I gave up and headed to my favorite church,  St Wilfred's at Low Marnham, to sit, reflect and top up my spiritual resources.































.



From Low Marnham I  took a different turn in the road and found myself marveling at the mighty River Trent, near the Brownlow Arms at High Marnham, which was in full flood. For the first time I became aware of the Fledborough Viaduct, about a mile down stream, and found that it was still in use as a walking and cycle trail to Lincoln.

I set off walking from the old Fledborough Station and the wide horizon was crisscrossed with pylons and dotted with power station chimneys and cooling towers.





























.





St Gregory's Fledbough is a conserved church, like St Wilfred's, but without its calming properties.










.







The viaduct was functional and impressive but I was unable to capture all of its 59 arches.
































.





Inevitably the central panels had been daubed with paint and it seemed that someone had gone to a lot of trouble to produce nothing of worth.

































.